Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hafeez unsurprised by inclusion in tour squad

Pakistan allrounder Mohammad Hafeez has remained unsurprised following his shock inclusion in the side’s One-Day International and Twenty20 squads to take on England.

Hafeez, who was dropped after a poor 2010 World Twenty20 where he scored just 49 runs in six matches and took two wickets, has not scored an international half-century since December 2006. Despite his status as an allrounder, Hafeez has fared poorly with the ball as well, having not taken more than three wickets in an innings since October 2003.

“The call-up to the squad was not surprising at all,” Hafeez told The Express Tribune following an unconvincing appearance for AO Clinic in a local Twenty20 tournament. “I had served Pakistan well before the 2010 World Twenty20 and it’s wrong to write off someone after just two or three poor performances.”

Hafeez, who averages 18.6 with the bat after 48 ODIs, did express his surprise after his omission from the Test squad for the tour of England despite having a 30-plus average with two centuries. However, according to the allrounder, he utilised the break well and opted out of a club contract in England in order to maintain his fitness while working at the NCA in Lahore.

“I think this is a lucky time and chance for me and I hope I’m given a long stint in the team, similar to how some of the young guys got in the Test squad and with the World Cup looming, I hope to be in Pakistan’s squad for that tournament.”

Hafeez captained Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited in their debut Quaid-e-Azam season where they went on to win the trophy, beating HBL in the final.

He also led Pakistan A on their tour of the UAE earlier this year where the side took on England Lions and despite not performing with the bat, it was his experience that led to his inclusion in the side for the World Twenty20 title-defence in the West Indies.

“I’m experienced with the English conditions and that is another reason why I’ve been chosen. I’ve been training hard during the summer and while I’m not thinking long term, the five ODIs will help me cement my place in the team.”

© Faras Ghani 2010.
Published in The Express Tribune, Aug 26, 2010

No comments: