Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Razzaq, Shahzaib delighted with contributions in T20 wins

Abdul Razzaq, the Pakistan all-rounder, has branded ICL as ‘low standard cricket’ and breathed a sigh of relief after quitting the ‘rebel’ league last month and being fast-tracked into the international side for the ICC World Twenty20.

Making his comeback for Pakistan against New Zealand at The Oval, Razzaq was handed the new ball, under pressure to perform straight away following a poor opening over. What followed seemed an effortless transition, after a two-year absence from international cricket, but even an impressive return of two for 17 failed to come up to the standards he had set himself.

“It wasn’t easy to get back into international cricket after a long absence,” Razzaq told Dawn. “This is the highest standards of cricket being played in the world and playing in ICL and its low standard cricket, it needs a great deal of mental adjustment. Even after the performance against New Zealand, I believe I still need another two to three weeks to get up to grips with international cricket.”

Fresh from topping the wicket-takers’ chart in Pakistan’s domestic Twenty20, Razzaq barely had 24 hours to adjust to conditions. While his team-mates took much longer to get acclimatised, the all-rounder started as if it was Lahore. His first ball almost capped off a memorable comeback if not for an inside edge off Aaron Redmond’s bat. However, he did not have to wait too long though for a lofted drive off Brendon Mccullum’s bat landed safely in the fielder’s hands and Pakistan were off to a great start.

Not surprised at being rewarded so early in his comeback match, Razzaq owed much to his spell with Surrey who have The Oval as their home ground. He also spent a season as Middlesex’s overseas player and thus the pitch and conditions were not alien to him. “I have played at this ground before and that helped me immensely. I was also able to provide input in the team meeting on the type of pitch, the outfield and the conditions and I think it helped me a great deal to have that background information.”

He also welcomed the inclusion of youngsters in the team, while commending a great effort by Mohammad Aamer and Shahzaib Hassan, but stressed the need for individual improvement in order to succeed at the highest level. “It’s basically a survival of the fittest. They [the youngsters] need to work hard on their fitness, get the experience and gradually, in about two to three months, they’ll constantly deliver the goods.”

Shahzaib, making his international debut in a must-win match for Pakistan, also showed no signs of nervousness with the bat or when questioned about his 27-ball 35.

Shahzaib was confident he had shone glimpses of the talent he possesses and will get more chances despite the opener failing to match his debut performance in the second match. “Although I scored against New Zealand, I wasn’t totally satisfied with my performance,’ Shahzaib told Dawn. ‘It was a chance for me to do well for myself and for my team and I was really thankful for the opportunity given. However, I’m sure I’ll get another chance to prove my worth and improve on what you saw on Saturday.”

© Faras Ghani 2009
Published in DAWN newspaper June 17, 2009

No comments: